Tuesday, April 28, 2009




I have a very special niece and nephew.

They are kind and funny, and so much fun to be around.

I watch them with Noelle, their tenderness, their genuine love of playing with her.

I catch Cole making faces at her and she is doubled over with smiles and laughter.

I catch Kaylee gently brushing her hair away from her face, and Noelle doing the same to her in return.

How could these things not bring joy to this mother's heart?

I love that Noelle loves them, but I love being with them too, just us. I love hearing their stories and seeing them smile.

I love seeing them growing into individual people with different interests and talents.

Kaylee always pulling up stool to climb at the top of and declare

"Hello everyone, I'm Kaylee. We're going to have a show today."

Will one day, decades from now, this same scene unfold for me as I sit gray-haired, watching my niece at her new job?

Or Cole, who brings pictures of people praying for answers and Indian spirits plummeting out of the sky to bring them those answers. He wears his soul on his sleeve.

Will one day, decades from now, I sit at a table with him, drinking coffee, discussing his latest idea inspired by a certain poet he is reading?


Perhaps.
I only know that right now I am so enjoying watching these two little souls walk their path and am so grateful to be walking parts of it with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment