Saturday, July 10, 2010

Making Waves

Today we went to Monte Verde lake.  It is a lake of the imagination. 

Cool and clear,surrounded by soft green grass and wildflowers.  It is shallow on all sides so you don’t have to worry about your little one falling in. 

Mountains rise in the distance, and one can watch the shadows from the clouds slowly move over them. 

IMG_5543

It is a place to take out a little fishing boat.

IMG_5547

A place to make new friends.

IMG_5555

A place to watch baby ducks follow their mother through the water.   And, just like in the children’s book, there is always  one who likes to find his own way, make his own waves.

IMG_5559 

Noelle has seemed to find her own rhythm here.  Today, Stephen and I were engrossed in conversation while she was playing in the mud with worms.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her run off down the shore. 

I followed her wondering what she was doing.  And then I saw her find the little beach and run into the water, splashing around at the tiny fish. 

She did not tell me what she was doing, or was even aware that I knew where she was going. 

For this, some might call her misbehaved, headstrong, belligerent.

But I remember the little duck who likes to make his own waves. 

And so I call her none of these things.

IMG_5546

Instead, I call her free.

No comments:

Post a Comment